My baby girl is five years old today! That means I have been a mama for five years! I have learned so much from motherhood, but here are five big lessons that come to mind immediately:
- Healthy, happy kids make messes. Lots and lots of messes. Sick kids, though, make very few messes. So instead of cursing the mess, bless the health.
- Screaming does not make anyone feel better.
- Time makes everything easier. If I’m rushing, tempers flare. But if we have heaps and heaps of time, everything feels magical.
- Everyone learns by experience. You can’t tell a baby how to walk or eat or even how to play. And I certainly won’t be able to teach my children how to live authentic, fulfilling lives via a series of lectures. I can only teach by example, and they will only learn by living their lives.
- Mistakes are vital and important. I let my kids know when I have made a mistake so that they can witness firsthand that imperfection is wonderful.
I should really be filling this post with photos of my sweet Pippa but eh, it’s late and I’m exhausted from birthday party preparations. Tomorrow is going to be a big day and here’s one more lesson I’ve learned: SLEEP IS ESSENTIAL.